Unread 02-16-12, 06:33 PM   #1
sidsixseven
Bomani Harbinger
Question: Extracting RIFT UI

I'm new to RIFT but not new to writing addons for games. Is there any way to extract the developer's lua files for the official RIFT UI. I would like to make a number of modifications to the auction house and the chat system.

Obviously, it would help to be able to extract the existing files so I could hook into the existing UI properly without having to try and reverse engineer everything.

I've written addons for both WAR & WOW and this was readily available by extracting the files from the data file. I see that RIFT uses a .pak file and was wondering if this was extractable.

-sidsixseven

PS: new to these forums, is there any easy way to change your user name. lol, i was registering a bit too fast and have a typo in my name.
sidsixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-12, 06:46 PM   #2
TimeBomb
Claw of Regulos
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
We do not have access to the default UI. We DO have access to hooks that allow us to work with or imitate the [functionality of the] default UI, though. We do not have access to everything yet, as the API is still very much so incomplete and in beta.
TimeBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-12, 11:19 PM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
Riftui Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidsixseveb View Post
PS: new to these forums, is there any easy way to change your user name. lol, i was registering a bit too fast and have a typo in my name.
Yup, just send me a PM with what you'd like it to actually be and I will take care of it for you.
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-12, 12:27 AM   #4
sidsixseven
Bomani Harbinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeBomb View Post
We do not have access to the default UI. We DO have access to hooks that allow us to work with or imitate the [functionality of the] default UI, though. We do not have access to everything yet, as the API is still very much so incomplete and in beta.
Hmm. Is there any quick and dirty way to figure out the name of a Frame, text label or other objects? Something like the WoW equivalent of: GetMouseFocus():GetName()

Or alternately, a way to dump all the objects? My preference would be to make modifications (or replace) the existing UI objects.

EDIT: OK -- at least the dumping is no problem. It appears everything is under UI.Native .. A mousefocus would make things easier but I can work with this..
Code:
for k,v in pairs(UI.Native) do
	print(k)
end

Last edited by sidsixseven : 02-17-12 at 12:48 AM.
Unread 02-17-12, 01:42 AM   #5
Naifu
Claw of Regulos
In difference to other games the standard UI of Rift is not written in LUA itself. The UI.Native elements are used as placeholders to interface with the standard UI. The whole UI element approach is quite different to other games offering a LUA API.

Cheers
N.
Naifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-12, 01:50 AM   #6
sidsixseven
Bomani Harbinger
Thx. That explains some things I'm noticing. It's looking like it might be easier to have a pop-up window. I'm starting to see why there are less addons, lol.
Unread 02-17-12, 11:26 AM   #7
Naifu
Claw of Regulos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidsixseven View Post
Thx. That explains some things I'm noticing. It's looking like it might be easier to have a pop-up window. I'm starting to see why there are less addons, lol.
If you wanna save yourself a loot of work you might want to look into some of the widget libs around. You could even use my nkGenie lib which has grown quite a lot. However it's not documented and I don't guarantuee backwards compatability. Well the later is not much of an issue as with 5 of my addons using the lib I have to do it anyway :P

Cheers
N.
Unread 02-17-12, 02:00 PM   #8
sidsixseven
Bomani Harbinger
New Question:

According to the documentation I read on Inspect.Item.Detail, the item table should include a .stack and .stackMax member. However, these don't appear to exist in item tables that I am deriving from an Auction House scan (using the event and the auction inspector).

I've done a complete dump of these tables and it's definately less complete than what is documented. Without stack size, knowing the bid/buyout is a bit pointless because the value of the whole stack is returned.

Am I using the Inspector wrong? Is this an Auction House thing? Any ideas on a work-around? I'm assuming since the Native UI isn't written entirely in LUA that Trion is purposefully not providing this in the item inspector.

On a seperate note, is it known if any similar limitations exist with the mailbox? The other half (more important half really) is going to be the mailbox piece intended to track what is sold/bought.

My main goal here isn't to build a huge Auctioneer style database (those just get filled with bad data) but to assist with auction posting, track current (most recent scan) prices and historical prices of what I personally have bought/sold.
Unread 02-17-12, 02:41 PM   #9
Naifu
Claw of Regulos
I think there was something mentioned along these lines in the official forums. As I haven't toyed around with stack sizes so far I can't answer you questions.

Cheers
N.
Unread 02-17-12, 02:58 PM   #10
sidsixseven
Bomani Harbinger
Thanks for the tip on checking the official forums.

Quote:
http://forums.riftgame.com/beta-addo...ml#post3610632
BUGFIXES:

* Inspect.Item.Detail(), when applied to a mail item or auction item, will now properly show stack size.
/sigh

OK -- That answers that question. It's a bug. Looks like I'll need to work on the addon in the PTS until the bug fix goes live. At least I'm not crazy.

UPDATE -- This does work on the PTS and I'm not having any trouble extracting data. On to the mailbox...

Last edited by sidsixseven : 02-17-12 at 05:45 PM.

Go BackRiftui » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Question: Extracting RIFT UI