Unread 09-26-11, 02:48 PM   #1
Marru
Zombie
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question Damage Meter, Looking for Assistant Author or Suggestions

Please excuse the following text block, it contains a full list of the DPS Meter addon's current functionality and what we desire assistance with. If you don't feel like reading all of this (and I don't blame you if you dont) please feel free to scroll to the bottom and send us an email or add me on steam and I am willing to explain it in a more casual and to the point way.

A friend of mine and I have begun development of a DPS Meter addon for rift to replace the current 3rd party options. We currently have a working timer that starts when the player enters combat and terminates when the player leaves combat. Recently we have also gotten the Event.Combat.Damage to trigger and currently it will print out the damage done followed by the name of the player who dealt the damage. This is working great and its a necessary step in progressing towards a functioning DPS Meter, however we have a few issues with what is currently being printed. First we encountered an error where it would often simply report an error regarding a nil "Inspect.Unit.Detail(caster)" but would sometimes work. We were able to fix this problem with a simple not nil check. The second problem is that the print outs display for players not in group. While this would be a great feature to have available it is not ideal to always have shown and I wish to avoid this when the user specifies group or raid only for example.

The final problems we are dealing with are stumbling blocks in the coding itself. First we are running into some confusion on LibUnitChange and how to use it to know who is in group and who is not and relate the damage we see to the unit ID to the player. Our understanding is that it can be incorporated to somehow convert current Unit ID's into group01, group02 etc. We would be grateful is someone could explain to us how to successfuly incorporate this and use it in our code. Second we are stumbling on how to get each damage to be added to its player and accumulate, I believe if we have the libunitchange working and can simply precreate variables group01 through group20 or whatever and simply assigning the damage from the first witnessed event to group01, likely in a table format, such as group01.name = Inspect.Unit.Detail(params.caster).name, group01.damage = group01.damage + params.damage, the difficulty here will be searching through group01-group20 to find the correct one checking the unit ID against the unit ID of the damage event. I feel like this, while likely effective, will be inefficient and there is a better way. The next problem we are encountering is the listing of the players and sorting them by current dps. Our current idea is to assign each player to a frame, and to check the current sorting of the frames every so often and reordering if necessary. The final problem we are running into at the moment is the new frame type that allows us to cut off other frames. We understand the concept but have not yet tested or used it and while it may be simple we would like some help with this as well. The point of this is to list all players frames from top to 20th player (in raid set up) and allow the user to resize the frame to personalize how many players they wish to track. This is probably a simple process and we can figure it out on our own but my point is we are running into numerous problems and we would like to get this addon out in a minor but functional form by wednesdays patch when addons become live. We also would like some help getting the frame resize and move events to work as we haven't used these either.

tl;dr V

I am often on the IRC chat referenced on this site, irc.freenode.net #RiftUIDev, I am also in game often either on the PTS testing, my name is Cruorr, or I am on the Deepstrike shard on my cleric with the name Marru. Other ways of contacting me are at our teams email address, [email protected] or through steam, my account name is snowdudecod, feel free to add me and get a hold of me there if you have any suggestions or wish to be a part of the team for this addon. We are welcoming anything from simple suggestions and assistance to another member on the team to develop this addon and others in the near future. If you provide assistance and so desire we are more then welcome to reference you in the addon as a supporting author or something along those lines, or if you wish to join us and help develop and maintain the addon we would truly appreciate it and will give full credit as a fellow author as well. We are currently working on getting our addon onto the SVN as well for those of you interested in becoming a fellow author.

still tl;dr V

Contact Information:
email: [email protected]
steam: snowdudecod
in-game: Marru on Deepstrike / Cruorr on PTS

Feel free to contact us if you have suggestions/tips or even if you have questions on your own addon, while we may not be the most knowledgeable we are looking to learn and the best way to do that besides writing our own addons is to help others with theirs.
Marru is offline   Reply With Quote

Go BackRiftui » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Damage Meter, Looking for Assistant Author or Suggestions