Unread 10-29-11, 12:10 AM   #1
IpOp
Zombie
How to save addons?

Is there any particular way to save addons?

I have tried CBR, TCB, Simplemeter, Karuulalert, Wire's Raidkilled.
I can't save any of them, at all.

I tried restoring Rift, it didn't work. I can save UI features that cam with the game, but there is no way for me to save an addon.

Whatever I do they just move to the initial position.

Yes, I have latest versions and yes, I did what they said on how to save changes. It just doesnt work for me.

Has anyone alse noticed this problem? I would realy like some help.
IpOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-11, 06:12 AM   #2
Aieny
Veiled Ripper

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Under the Interface folder, you should have two folders, Addons and Saved. If the Saved folder doesn't exist, create it. You might also try running Rift as an administrator (right-click the Rift icon and choose "Run as administrator".
  3.     print("www.riftcrafter.com")
  4. end
Aieny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-11, 07:44 AM   #3
IpOp
Zombie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aieny View Post
Under the Interface folder, you should have two folders, Addons and Saved. If the Saved folder doesn't exist, create it. You might also try running Rift as an administrator (right-click the Rift icon and choose "Run as administrator".
Yes, I have 2 folders. One is "Addons", the other is "Saved".

The problem is with "Saved" folder. There is only 1 folder in the folder "Saved". It has same name as my e-mail adress and it's empty. There is nothing alse in "Saved".
No matter what I do it is empty and stays empty.

I tried running Rift as an administrator and it didn't help.

I really have no idea what is wrong.
Unread 10-29-11, 08:16 AM   #4
Sunspots
Claw of Regulos

To expand what Aieny said; Depending on where Rift is installed, you might need to run it as an administrator so that the game has the permission to write the saved variable files.

EDIT: For troubleshooting - try running /reloadui in the game and check if anything changes in the folder.
Sunspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-11, 01:40 PM   #5
Myrroddin
Endless Captain
Silly question: are you putting your addons into the saved folder, or the addons folder?

The correct process is
  1. At the character select screen, click the Addons button
  2. New window, click the Open Addon Directory - game tabs out by itself
  3. Copy your unzipped addons to that folder
  4. [optional] close the folder
  5. Back in the game, click Refresh
If you did everything correctly, then you will see your addons in the list.
Myrroddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-11, 01:50 PM   #6
IpOp
Zombie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspots View Post
To expand what Aieny said; Depending on where Rift is installed, you might need to run it as an administrator so that the game has the permission to write the saved variable files.

EDIT: For troubleshooting - try running /reloadui in the game and check if anything changes in the folder.
I did run as administrator and there was no difference.
There is no action in "Saved" folder. It is constantly empty no matter what I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrroddin View Post
Silly question: are you putting your addons into the saved folder, or the addons folder?

The correct process is
  1. At the character select screen, click the Addons button
  2. New window, click the Open Addon Directory - game tabs out by itself
  3. Copy your unzipped addons to that folder
  4. [optional] close the folder
  5. Back in the game, click Refresh
If you did everything correctly, then you will see your addons in the list.
Yes, I do it like that. I have addons when I join the game. The problem I am having is that I cannot save anything. As soon as I relog or do "/reloadui" all the addon configurations reset.

I guess my own configurations (position etc.) should be in folder "Saved"? This folder is constantly empty for me.
Unread 10-29-11, 02:02 PM   #7
Sunspots
Claw of Regulos

The only thing left I can think of is an antivirus or other software that prevents the game from writing save files.
Sunspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-11, 02:09 AM   #8
Myrroddin
Endless Captain
Now that I more clearly understand the issue... It sounds like Windows is giving you a hard time. Let me guess, Windows Vista or 7? There is only one other option to try, but it is very time consuming.
  1. Download the game installer or install from DVD
  2. Uninstall the game. Seriously.
  3. Run the installer, but change the install location to something like C:\Rift Game -- where C is your preferred hard drive
  4. That's right, do NOT install the game in the default directory!
  5. Let the installer do its thing while you go to work, sleep, eat out, visit family, write a novel....
The problem is the way Microsoft designed the user access permissions for the Program Files directory. Programs cannot write to that folder, which is stupid, but that's the way MS rolls. Changing the install location to someplace neutral is a great workaround.

If you still get stuck after the above, then do the Run As Admin thing, but unless your Windows account is Restricted Access, you shouldn't need to do that.
Myrroddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-11, 05:49 AM   #9
IpOp
Zombie
Quote:
Now that I more clearly understand the issue... It sounds like Windows is giving you a hard time. Let me guess, Windows Vista or 7? There is only one other option to try, but it is very time consuming.
  3. Run the installer, but change the install location to something like C:\Rift Game -- where C is your preferred hard drive
  5. Let the installer do its thing while you go to work, sleep, eat out, visit family, write a novel....
The problem is the way Microsoft designed the user access permissions for the Program Files directory. Programs cannot write to that folder, which is stupid, but that's the way MS rolls. Changing the install location to someplace neutral is a great workaround.

If you still get stuck after the above, then do the Run As Admin thing, but unless your Windows account is Restricted Access, you shouldn't need to do that.
This worked! Thx
I have reinstalled Rift into a different location and everything works fine and gets saved.

Thx for the help
Unread 11-18-11, 08:18 AM   #10
Levva
Zombie
Quote:

Err this is complete overkill.

1) Making sure the game isn't running first, drag game folder from c:\program files\Rift Game to C:\Rift Game

2) Change any shortcuts to point to new location

3) Play game.

Takes less than 1 minute.
Levva is offline   Reply With Quote

Go BackRiftui » General Discussion » General Rift Chat » How to save addons?