Unread 12-13-13, 06:07 PM   #1
Rhazkept
Zombie
[Question]Layout issue with different resolutions

I have of late been designing a new layout for the UI, with the hope eventually of releasing it as an add-on. Having ironed out most of the kinks without losing too much hair over it, I now have an issue that I just cannot solve, and thus am posing to you all in the hope of finding answers !

Two of the frames - Notification Messages + Error and Quest Messages - keep falling out of alignment whenever I switch resolutions from my default res. of 1920x1080. To clarify, they are both centered in the upper-half of the screen, not attached to any of the other frames of the UI (which, incidentally, aligns fine when switching resolutions).

However, whenever I move from one resolution to another, these two frames shift, sometimes a small amount, other times drastically. In either case, it does not keep them centered. I have tested several resolutions, going through 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10, tried both in fullscreen and in windowed. Nothing doing, The frames always shift.

Is this a known issue with the UI ? Any help or indication of what could be done would be much appreciated.
Rhazkept is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-13, 06:06 AM   #2
Valixx
Claw of Regulos

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hey Rhazkept.

I've got the same issue since I started playing again around patch 2.3.

I'm building my second UI for the Riftui Community and there it happens all the time. Can't get around it, sadly.. so you're not alone on this one.
Valixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-13, 06:40 AM   #3
Rhazkept
Zombie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valixx View Post
Hey Rhazkept.

I've got the same issue since I started playing again around patch 2.3.

I'm building my second UI for the Riftui Community and there it happens all the time. Can't get around it, sadly.. so you're not alone on this one.
That is of some reassurance Valixx.

I did a quick test, on the side, to see whether this happens with the default layout for Rift. It does. A preliminary conclusion of the matter is that this is a bug in the system that we probably can't fix, and that we will have to wait until a patch comes through... Unless someone has a magic wand they can wave.

On a side-note, I tested out your UI a week ago. Wasn't my style (although it was an excellent layout, just not fitting my playstyle), but it actually gave me the idea to start working on my own layout to publish as an add-on, so thank you for that !

Last edited by Rhazkept : 12-14-13 at 07:00 AM.
Unread 12-14-13, 07:11 AM   #4
Valixx
Claw of Regulos

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhazkept View Post

I did a quick test, on the side, to see whether this happens with the default layout for Rift. It does. A preliminary conclusion of the matter is that this is a bug in the system that we probably can't fix, and that we will have to wait until a patch comes through... Unless someone has a magic wand they can wave.
That's what I tought.. I hope they fix it soon, I want to continue working on the second UI. Such little things can ruin big things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhazkept View Post
On a side-note, I tested out your UI a week ago. Wasn't my style (although it was an excellent layout, just not fitting my playstyle), but it actually gave me the idea to start working on my own layout to publish as an add-on, so thank you for that !
Everyone has it's own playstyle which is good. Would be boring otherwise
Glad I could help!
Valixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-13, 01:05 PM   #5
Rhazkept
Zombie
Having worked some more on the layout, I have come up with a potential alternative solution to the issue encountered, and also have a hypothesis on the source of the issue.

I believe that the problem emanates from any frame that isn't securely attached to one of the physical edges of the screen. Anything attached to those, however indirectly, reacts accordingly when screen resolution changes take place. Only those 'floating' on the screen do not realign correctly when the resolution is changed.

The alternative I have come up with is simple, and yet something of a handful for the author. Basically, switching between resolutions and realigning these two frames manually, creating a new exported UI for each resolution (or for a selection of resolutions most commonly used). The drawback to this is obvious : the author will suddenly go from having one layout to two, three, or more. All of which will need editing.

It's either that or a. telling the users that if they want it to work they have to realign it themselves, b. finding a way to configure the layout so as to attach the two frames to frames connected with the edge of the screen (impossible in my case).

Go BackRiftui » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » [Question]Layout issue with different resolutions