Unread 11-24-11, 12:31 PM   #1
maconic
Zombie
Spotify

Hi Rift folks!

I wonder if there is a spotify (the music service) addon for rift yet? If not, would anyone be using it?

I would for sure!

THX,

MaC
maconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-11, 07:23 PM   #2
Sunspots
Claw of Regulos

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Not possible.
Ever.

EDIT: Okay, to be a bit more specific - there will be no possibility of the API interacting with external applications.

Last edited by Sunspots : 11-24-11 at 07:30 PM.
Sunspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-11, 05:39 AM   #3
Jug
Zombie
I wouldn't be so certain about that. Perhaps there will be some future changes that will facilitate this.

Once an addon can force it's saved variables to save at will, interaction with the filesystem is one way to build a bridge to control external applications.

Also, perhaps in the future Trion may allow addons to access the web (as they can in some other MMOs), which would be another way to build a bridge to control local applications.

Never say never! ;-)

Last edited by Jug : 11-25-11 at 05:41 AM.
Jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-11, 10:10 AM   #4
Sunspots
Claw of Regulos

For security reasons, I highly doubt that the API will be able to access information from external resources.
One-way communication TO external applications might be possible without too much of a security issue (which could control a media player but not display any information from it)
Unread 11-26-11, 02:27 PM   #5
Aieny
Veiled Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspots View Post
For security reasons, I highly doubt that the API will be able to access information from external resources.
One-way communication TO external applications might be possible without too much of a security issue (which could control a media player but not display any information from it)
Actually, the API can access both images and fonts, although they have to be embedded in the Addon for it to work.
  3.     print("www.riftcrafter.com")
  4. end
Aieny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-11, 10:02 AM   #6
Sunspots
Claw of Regulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aieny View Post
Actually, the API can access both images and fonts, although they have to be embedded in the Addon for it to work.
With external I mean resources from outside the addon system.
Unread 11-28-11, 04:28 AM   #7
starlon
Claw of Regulos

This sounds like a great built-in feature. They have Rift Connect, so why not?
starlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-11, 06:47 AM   #8
Sunspots
Claw of Regulos

I agree it would be a good addition to rift connect.
I'm not sure if spotify has enough global coverage for trion to be able to really profit from the investment in integrating such an advanced system.
Unread 11-28-11, 07:24 AM   #9
maconic
Zombie
Api

Hi Folks and thx for the lots of replies!

Well I think there are enough spotify projects out there that can remote control spotify via whatever interface (like for instance HTTP) or maybe also one could just write a thin wrapper over libspotify (which is free and available to public). So I think from the spotify side it is quite doable. Now I don't know the Rift API, is there really no way at all? Just like it was pointed out, even a filesystem event by the addon and a poll from the spotify side would be a solution (maybe Win7 already has filesystem events like OS X...so that there is even no need for a poll, which is ugly and expensive). The best solution would be some network or in memory interface, but I can understand if Trion is blocking those from inside an addon...

What is Rift connect, is it the Facebook etc. access from inside Rift? How could it be a help for spotify?

THX and BR;

MaC
maconic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go BackRiftui » AddOns, Layouts and Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Spotify