Unread 10-08-11, 11:32 AM   #1
silkenrifter
Zombie
Smile Request: Compass

I would really love to have a standard compass on the screen. Too often when you're standing on a spot that is about the size of your personal icon on the mini-map, its hard to tell which way you're pointing! I have no clue how to write these, but maybe someone who does can put one together?

Thanks.
silkenrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-11, 12:06 AM   #2
Vatec
Zombie
I'll second that.

The one from EQ2 would be perfect.

For example, if you were facing North, the compass would look like:

[W...nw...N...ne...E]

Turn left 45 degrees and you would see:

[sw...W...nw...N...ne]

Heck, if someone could get me started on how to do this, I might give it a shot myself. But the last programming I did was in Pascal back in the 80s....

Edit:

A brief inspection of the Addon API Bible did not uncover any functions for acquiring the character's facing/direction in-game. Then again, I may not have been looking in the right section (I would imagine it would be some variant of Inspect). If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, or specific knowledge on this, please share ;^)

Last edited by Vatec : 11-15-11 at 12:24 AM.
Vatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-11, 02:35 AM   #3
TimeBomb
Claw of Regulos
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Upon using Ctrl+F in the official addon documentation - http://pastebin.com/ZwqMZqYn
I have not found anything about direction, facing, or heading.

Therefore, I do not think anything is currently in the API that allows you to get any information about where the player is facing. You can ask about it, and (usually) get a quick dev response at the addon api forum on the official RIFT forums. http://forums.riftgame.com/beta-addon-api-development/

It's relatively impossible to do much of anything without access to the character's facing. If/when the API allows you to check your location/coordinates, then you could potentially do checks to figure out which direction the person is moving in... but if they aren't moving, then it is useless.
TimeBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-11, 08:41 AM   #4
Vatec
Zombie
Yeah, I was hoping I had missed something in the "Addon Bible."

Thanks for double-checking.
Vatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-11, 05:49 PM   #5
silkenrifter
Zombie
thanks

Thanks for the info. Onward to the forums...
silkenrifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Go BackRiftui » AddOns, Layouts and Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Request: Compass