Unread 08-08-13, 01:27 PM   #1
seebs
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Riftui Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Just for reference: You cannot steal my code!

And by cannot, I don't mean I am not permitting it. I mean it is impossible, because there is unconditional blanket permission to copy any of my Rift addon code. If you want to copy parts or all of my addons, or make forks of them, you go right ahead and do that. If you want to maintain an addon that's just like Merisioux only you changed the name used for the addon and changed one font color, go ahead! You are allowed.

What I would prefer people not do:
1. Release updates using exactly the same names, without talking to me first.
2. Remove copyright notices or whatever, and claim that they wrote the code they're taking from my addons.
3. Harass other people for also copying my code.
4. Harass other people for copying your code that was mixed in with my code. (I know you are probably legally allowed to do this, and I won't try to stop you, but I would ask that you don't.)

What I do not mind at all:
1. Uploading copies of the released addons to other sites, with clear attribution to my releases.
2. Forks and modifications. Especially forks and modifications that, say, fix compatibility problems or something.
3. Incorporating my libraries into other addons. (And if you're just incorporating one of my libraries, that doesn't count as #4 above; you're welcome to assert ownership of your own original code however you want.)
4. Compatibility with interfaces used in my addons or things like that.

Summarized: If what you are doing is using my addon code to make addons, and you are not either claiming that my code is yours, or that your code is mine, that is fine by me. This stuff is posted with intent that people use it, and I have ZERO interest in the "I'm taking my toys and going home" thing. If I'm not around, or you can't reach me, and you want permission to use code, check the list above. It is very likely that you already have that permission.
seebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go BackRiftui » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Just for reference: You cannot steal my code!