Unread 10-06-11, 05:03 PM   #1
Supernatural
Zombie
Post 1st Time Addon Creator

Hello & Good Day,

I'm looking to get started with a simple add-on.
How do I get started with this adventure? I was told I need to learn some basic C plus Java. I'm a master with HTML / CSS plus use tools like firebug...is there a firebug like tool for LUA coding?

IDEA: Auto-invite all online buddies currently not in a group

What tool can I use to write this? Is there a template I can build off? Please help me get started.

So far with my research I have come across these tools.
Supernatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-11, 06:19 PM   #2
Dolby
I am the passenger

Premium Member
Riftui Admin
The only tool you need to write addons is a text editor. There is a nice list of them on the wiki under Author resources.

The best way to get started (for me, its how I learn) is to look at some of the simple addons others have made to get an idea how things work even get your hands dirty and modify their code to really see how it works. Once you can understand how the basics work dive into the API documentation and find things that are needed for your project. If you don't find those things talk to other authors most are very helpful and might know of ways around the problem, and if its not in the API suggest it.

Start small even if its just a "Hello World" addon and continue to add things and have fun doing it!

Last edited by Dolby : 10-06-11 at 06:26 PM.
Dolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-11, 01:49 PM   #3
Aieny
Veiled Ripper

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Like Dolby said, start off with some small Addons. I wrote an Addon specifically for that purpose, the Generic Addon (I know, I know, such a generic name!), that contains just enough to get an Addon to load and create a /slash command.

Then, you can move up to more complex Addons that create frames, which are used to display stuff on screen (not just in the chat log).

The wiki here is a good place to start. Your Addon idea is interesting, but the API for it isn't developed yet. However, that doesn't mean you can't work on it......after all, you need a framework for the user to interface with, and you can build that now =)
  3.     print("www.riftcrafter.com")
  4. end
Aieny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-11, 04:19 PM   #4
Lildry
Claw of Regulos
Like Supernatural I am new to Lua, I am ok with C/C++ and really good with HTML and CSS. I been looking at some of the add-ons and how they work and found that the Authors that have their addons on the riftui website are written well. They are easy to read, have any of you ever attempted to read Healbot for that other game? That thing is a total mess and I for one can't figure out what is going on with it.

My biggest problem is not knowing what the API supports and what it doesn't support. I would like to develope a simple Raid frame.

One question does the API support xml files, I have seen xml files in several add-ons developed for that other game.
Lildry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-11, 08:46 PM   #5
Rithious
Zombie

http://www.riftui.com/downloads/info...nAPIBible.html

This will let you know what API is supported atm. I do not believe that there is any XML for rift. Its all LUA and TOC. anyone correct me if im wrong though
Rithious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-11, 12:48 AM   #6
Lildry
Claw of Regulos
How do I get images using lua

Since I am good with HTML xml would be easier for me to pick up. In xml you would have an image in the folder that you would embed into the page, I assume it is similar but you need to embed an image that has already been created by Trion. Thats my problem I don't know how to find these images and what the names are so that I can call on them. I looked over the bible as we call it and still a little lost.

Another problem I have when looking at other add-ons I can't tell which names are made up by the author and which are names used by Trion. Does Trion have a Text style reserved for API?
Lildry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-11, 07:57 AM   #7
Myrroddin
Endless Captain
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The bible is excellent but outdated. Check the Wiki link at the top, and see the first post here, along with its linked pastebin, for the missing parts.

The OP, as you can see, is Trion staff, and the lead designer and coder of Rift's API. He has said before he does not like xml, and Rift will never see it implemented. ZorbaTHut is going for nothing but Lua.
Myrroddin is offline   Reply With Quote

Go BackRiftui » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » 1st Time Addon Creator